I have finally found the most honest (and helpful!) website about blogging and it’s by His Royal Awesomeness Jon Morrow! 😉 I have learned so much after reading How to Make Money Blogging – Best Guide for 2016. If you’re looking for ways on how you can earn money by blogging, you shouldn’t miss this article!
I’m not sure if I could consider myself a blogger as I mainly use my websites as online portfolios but after visiting the SmartBlogger website, I thought maybe I can do it. Make money blogging. Ambitious. Yes! I used to own four blogs but I had to give up three of my blogs to be able to create and focus on this blog. I might create more blogs in the future but in the meantime, I still need to grow this new blog 🙂
As a self-confessed SmartBlogger follower (Hei hei Jon!), I came across another helpful article An Open Letter to Bloggers Struggling to Get More Traffic that slapped me hard on the face. *sigh*
I couldn’t remember when was the first time I built a blog but I used Blogger then. The highest earning I had for a day in Google Adsense was $8 for a beauty article. It’s very hard to earn money with Adsense in my experience. Most of, if not all, my blog earnings came from paid guest posts or I get to receive freebies from companies who wants me to review their products. A lot of bloggers produce their own products but I haven’t really thought about it much. I’ve always wanted to write a book though so again, maybe in the future I can publish my own book.
Blogging is one of the hobbies of many people but if you’re serious about making money out of it, you better get ready in putting in a lot of hours to your blog. Even if writing comes easy to you, it’s just one part of the long process. You need to plan your topics, create visuals to go along with your articles, spend time sharing them in social media, connect and create relationships with your readers and this is just the easy part.
And this is why I don’t earn much in my blogs. I don’t invest time in any of them. *sobs* If you invest time in making your blog interesting, publish posts consistently, build relationships with your readers and share it in social media, then I believe that’s a good recipe in having a successful blog.
This year, I will try my best to take care of this blog and publish regularly.
My goals for the rest of this year would be:
- To publish posts consistently
- To gain more subscribers/followers/readers. Please share my posts to your family and friends if you like reading them 🙂 Thank you!
- To inspire more people with my blog posts 🙂
- Make it more appealing (I need to learn how to take great photos and edit them)
- To publish posts consistently (oh wait, I already said that!)
I’ve been doing a lot of research on how I can make my blog better and since it’s still a new one, there’s still a lot of room for improvement. Here are some things you might also need to do if you plan on blogging seriously.
- Since I already have setup my blog, my focus now is the content. Both visual and text. So the first thing I need to do is decide on how many hours I can spend on developing my blog. I have a regular job (a mix of small jobs really) that takes up most of my time so I need to be more realistic with my time. Maybe an hour or two a day.
- After deciding on how many hours I can dedicate to my blog, I need to create a blogging or editorial calendar. I’m the kind of writer who waits up for inspiration before creating content on my blog but I realized this is not enough. I get lazy. So having a blogging calendar to follow would mean I’ll have a guide as to what I need to write and pictures I need to take.
- After publishing the content, I need to make sure I share it to make sure it gets the exposure it needs. Connecting your social media accounts on your blog is really convenient as you don’t have to manually share the posts. Once you hit publish, it shares directly to your profiles.
I’d like to write more but it’s 8:23pm and I need to eat dinner. *grin* I’ll share more tips on blogging next time so stay tuned!