We all have those days wherein we don’t want to do anything, or as I say it, “I don’t want to adult today”. And today is one of those days for me. I wanted to to just stay in bed but thinking about all the things I needed to do I know I can’t let the day run me over.
I believe that being productive depends on whether we decide to be productive or not. We make a lot of choices every single day from the foods we eat to the clothes we wear and the things we do. As someone who works in a Home Office, I always need to decide whether I should stay an hour more in bed or get up and start working. My choices differ each day but this doesn’t dictate my productivity.
Productivity doesn’t depend on what time you get out of bed. Although waking up early does give you more time, if you woke up on the right side of the bed. If you wake up earlier than you’re used to and you’re grumpier than the grumpy cat, you won’t be as productive as the one who slept like a baby.
Here are my top tips on how to stay productive when you’re having a “blah” day:
- Eat something really delicious. If you’re on a particular diet, you don’t have to cheat. Prepare something different than your usual breakfast. If you’re too lazy to make one then order some delicious breakfast from your favorite cafe or better yet, eat breakfast in a cafe and enjoy the ambiance until your mood changes.
- Listen to feel good music. When I say feel good music, pick something that makes you smile when you play it. This will sound mushy and corny but right now, “Two Less Lonely People in the World” really makes me smile. Don’t judge me. LOL.
- Watch inspirational videos or listen to podcasts. I love listening to podcasts early in the morning when I don’t feel so good. When I feel uninspired to work, I like to watch videos. This morning, I didn’t really had any energy to work but I played Kalyn Nicholson’s videos and I was slowly getting into work mode. Three videos later, I was ready to rock my daily tasks!
- When I’m not in the mood to work, I try to spice things up. This is the time where I pack my laptop and journals and work in a cafe. Or I will pamper myself. I will go to a spa and have a massage or go to the mall and buy a book. If I don’t want to leave the house I go out of my room and I watch TV. Don’t force yourself to work or you’ll be frustrated. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Enjoy your time even if you’re doing nothing.
- Start a new hobby. Or pick up an old one that you haven’t done for a while. I started coloring and writing for fun after a long time of not doing it. You can practice these hobbies during work breaks. You don’t have to spend hours starting a new hobby. Commit to doing it at least 15 minutes a day and you’ll be surprised after a month that you’re way better than when you started.
I hope these five tips help you when you’re having a “blah” day.